Students will look at the empires of Egypt, Rome and Greece and their trade routes, and think about where goods originated and how they were traded. They will also analyse a ‘case study’ of an ancient shipwreck (the Uluburan Shipwreck).
At a glance
Duration: 90 Minutes
Subject: Ancient History
Numbers: 15 – 20
Adults: One adult per 15 students
Session Activities and Outcomes
- Examine objects to determine what they can tell us about the movement of goods and geography of the Empire.
- Assess how land and water affect objects and the differences in recovery of these materials.
- Learn more about current archaeological research and opportunities by working with the PhD deliverer.
- Create a physical timeline of major Empires (Greek, Roman & Egyptian) using coinage.
- Explore a research “case study” that tells us about the trade.
- Become “traders” in order to investigate ancient trade routes and origins of various goods.
- Examine objects to determine what they can tell us about the period of Roman occupation in Britain.
National Curriculum Links for KS4
Links to the History Curriculum
- Understanding the connections between local, regional, national and international history.
- Using contemporary source material appropriate to the period to frame their own valid historical questions and make their own valid historical claims.
- Supporting the teaching of a wider world depth study.
Links to Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural (SMSC) development
- Understanding the wide range of cultural influences that have shaped their own heritage and those of others.
- Enabling students to acquire an appreciation of and respect for their own and other cultures.
- Enabling students to develop their self-knowledge, self-esteem and self-confidence.
- Enabling students to acquire a broad general knowledge of and respect for public
institutions and services in England.
During this workshop students will visit our Discovering Archaeology Gallery to explore Roman Manchester.
If you are planning to spend time exploring the Museum either before or after your session please tell us this when you complete our “Make a Booking” form, below.
If you are unsure whether this session would be suitable for your group, please speak with our bookings coordinator on 0161 275 2630
or email email@example.com