This session provides pupils with knowledge of the real-life applications of science and also first -hand experience of using laboratory equipment. Students take on the role of a Forensic expert to solve the mystery of some unknown human remains.
Cost: £180 for half day £220 for full day
Duration: 2-5 hours
Numbers: 20 max.
Adults: One adult per 15 students
“It was an amazing opportunity and I would love to do something like this again” – Pupil comment
“Engaging and friendly PhD Students” – Teacher comment
Session Activities and Outcomes
- Learn to measure small quantities of liquid using a micropipette.
- ‘Cut’ DNA by adding restriction enzymes to DNA samples provided, then incubating them.
- Load DNA onto a agarose gel and separate DNA samples using electrophoresis.
- Learn to stain DNA specifically within the gel and visualise DNA samples.
- Undertake an archaeological finds analysis.
- Understand how different soil conditions contribute to differences in how organic and inorganic material breaks down/decomposes.
- Solve a ‘crime’ using several sources of evidence.
- Develop a greater understanding of the importance of accuracy and reliability in experimental science.
- Be encouraged to ask questions about university life and careers in science.
National Curriculum Links for KS3/4
Links to the Science Curriculum
- Using appropriate techniques, apparatus, and materials during fieldwork and laboratory work, paying attention to health and safety.
- Working practically with DNA, linking to units on genetics.
- Using a new context to stimulate interest in science.
- Developing and extending scientific vocabulary and explanations.
During this workshop students will visit our Money gallery.
If you are planning to spend time exploring other galleries at the Museum either before or after your session please tell us this when you complete our “Make a Booking” form, below.
If you are unsure whether this session would be suitable for your group, please speak with our bookings coordinator on 0161 275 2630 or email email@example.com