Here at The Manchester Museum we offer many resources for teachers. Some of these are for specific sessions but they can be adapted for use in different settings as well. On this page you can find links to these resources as well as interesting publications.
We are creating new resources all the time and welcome feedback and ideas, so do get in touch!
Please feel free to download and use our sample Risk Assessment.
Designed by children for children
All ages art resource – A Whisper to a SHOUT
An art resource created by MMU Manchester School of Art focusing on the Peppered Moth. The Peppered Moth story is a Manchester story, a story of change. This resource uses that story in creative ways, incorporating Science and the Arts, and involving people. Discover ways to think and talk about positive futures for people and nature in Manchester and the wider world. Use this resource to explore this topic at school and book a visit to the Museum to further support this work. At the Museum see real Peppered Moths specimens that inspired our 3D art installation as part of our Climate Control exhibition.
KS 2 Resources
- Egyptian Worlds: Exploring Egyptology beyond the Egyptian Worlds gallery | Animal Gods on the Galleries
- Dinosaur Detectives: I am not a dinosaur! | Rot or Not? | Comparing Creatures
- Maths in the Museum 1: Measuring in the Museum
- Maths in the Museum 2: Its about time
- Gallery Games: short activity ideas for use in any gallery
- Structures in the Museum: a design challenge using the whole museum
- Vivarium – Adaptations
- Nature’s Library Gallery Selective Breeding
- Nature’s Library Gallery Classification
- Fossils Gallery Timeline
- Living Worlds Tour
- Living Worlds Exploration
- Fossil Gallery – Past, Present and Future
- Critical Thinking on Manchester and Living Cultures Gallery
- Exploring Religion on Manchester and Living Cultures Gallery
- Character Building on Living Worlds
- Create a Tour on Living Worlds
- Exploring Themes on Living Worlds
- Fossil Gallery Mass Extinctions
- Mezzanine – Meteorites and the Solar System
- Rocks and Minerals Gallery
Art Cards allow students to produce large amounts of observational drawings direct from the Museum collection on gallery. They work directly with core GCSE requirements and skills and resources are fun, accessible and quick-paced.